TEACHING MUSIC READING SKILLS
Includes 5 videos
in an interactive PDF book file.
Great resource for the elementary classroom music teacher and also a supplemental resource for the college methods class—eBook PDF format for download. Includes a video of beginning recorder class with 3rd graders. There are activities, lesson plans, and assessments, all based on the standards.
Teaching Music Reading Skills (TMRS) is a method of teaching—
- Based on the concept of learning language;
- That has evolved as a result of over 30 years of use in the elementary music classroom;
- That works with a wide spectrum of learners—students with autism, exceptional ed students, life skills students, gifted students;
- That has been successful in inner city and suburban schools;
- That encourages differentiated learning.
By consistently using this method of repetition and reinforcement, children will gain a confidence in their music reading skills and will be better prepared to begin learning how to play the recorder in 3rd grade.
My First Recorder Book
28 Songs, Levels 1-2
Lesson Plans for teaching every song
Learning how to play a musical instrument begins in Kindergarten by building a foundation. See Teaching Music Reading Skills for how to prepare your students!
More MUSIC READING Activities
- Music Reading—Lesson Plan Note Names on the Treble Clef
- Music Reading—Note Names on the Treble Music Staff Powerpoint
- Music Reading—Music Alphabet Lesson Plan
- Read the Lyrics
- Music Reading—Spelling with Notes Game
- Line and Space Notes Powerpoint