Music Room Ramblings

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Word Walls in the Music Classroom

Several years ago, because of the need to incorporate literacy into all subject areas, music teachers found themselves confronted with mandated vocabulary words and the need to create word walls. This was a good thing.

Of course, I created my own set of vocabulary cards and printed these on colored card stock to match the grade level colors for the rhythm flash cards. I actually had so many requests, that I began printing these for other teachers in our district.

And it was amazing! Students who transferred from one school to another, were so excited when they entered my room to see the same colors and cards that they had been using in their former school. And then we took it a step further and the PE and art teachers began using the same colors too! Students could quickly find their word walls and the teachable moments were increased tremendously.

The way I used my vocabulary flash cards was to place new words that I was going to introduce on the board. After I felt like the students understood the words, I would then move them to their word wall. It was fun for me and also the students to look at the progression of learning from grade to grade. For example, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders could look at the K-1st grade words and see that they first learned the words, loud and soft, and now know that the musical terms are forte and piano. 



 These are pictures of my room and word walls.

I used doors and whatever wall space I could find. I kept the Kindergarten and First Grade walls close to the front.









This is how to make those reading, vocabulary, and literacy connections. 

No comments:

Post a Comment