Thursday, January 29, 2015

Unit Planning, Lesson Plans, and Those Infamous Standards

Units and Lesson Plans do not just materialize out of thin air. Nor should they be a list of random activities designed to fill up the allotted class time. That can be fun for the students but is not educationally sound in the long run.

Lesson plans should be sequential and age appropriate. And, yes, based on those infamous standards. The national standards are not an albatross, hanging around your neck. They were developed to help you and curriculum designers create a music program where students learn in a logical and sequential way based on sound methodology and child development.

The four units that I am writing are dependent on each other and can be used year after year. (See Lesson 3) They contain the activities, songs, games, dances, etc. that were successful in my classroom over my 30 years of teaching. After

much experience, a teacher learns how to analyze and plug into the appropriate places those fun activities from workshops and classes. The beauty of being a music teacher is you can determine the music curriculum for your students for 4-5 years. And you must have a long-range plan.

I will immediately begin working on Unit 4 so you will have it for the last unit of your year! By next fall, I will have Lesson Plans for an Entire Year available! I am excited to provide these for you.

I also love feedback and welcome your thoughts, suggestions, and will gladly help you with any questions or struggles you may be having  in your classroom. I have been communicating with teachers in Indonesia, Queens, NY, Canada, England, Kuwait, and Australia. That is so much fun!!

I look forward to hearing from you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment